There’s no point embarking on any kind of pet-keeping half-heartedly. Budgerigars are relatively easy pets to look after, but that doesn’t mean you can just bring one home and then forget about it. The budgerigar will require daily feeding, lots of attention and regular cleaning.
Here are the some basic tips for keeping your budgerigar happy.
- A suitably sized, well designed and regularly cleaned cage in a warm room (or an aviary with an enclosed area for roosting)
- A well-balanced and varied diet
- Fresh, clean water for drinking and bathing
- Cage and cage accessories for comfort and stimulation
- A stress-free environment (no predatory cats, no all-night lights, no children prodding things into the cage, etc)
- Company – other budgerigars, or just you (and a mirror for those times when you’re not able to interact with your budgerigar)
- Space to fly